Please review our Frequently Asked Questions. If our FAQ does not contain the answer to your question, please contact our Support department or begin a Live Chat with one of our representatives (during normal business hours).
Please view our Getting Started guide (.pdf) for help setting up an MDVR system.
1. How many video channels does the MDVR have?
H4= 4 cameras
Hr4 = 4 Cameras
Hr4pro = 4 Cameras
Hr8pro = 8 Cameras
2. How many audio channels do the DVRs have?
We always have as many audio channels as video channels. Example, the Hr8Pro has 8 video inputs and 8 audio inputs.
3. What video compression is used?
We currently use MPEG4 in all M Series and h.264 in all H Series.
4. Does the Unit have GPS ?
Yes, when the MDVR is purchased with the GPS module and antenna.
5. Does the MDVR have an accelerometer (G-Forces)?
Yes, when the MDVR has an optional external Inertial Sensor. Also, the H4H includes an onboard inertial sensor.
6. Is this a Simplex DVR?
No. The MDVR has quadraplex operation capability for Recording, Live Viewing, Video Search and Playback, Remote View, and Administration.
7. Do we have user access protection?
Yes. Our MDVR is protected with 3 available password levels: user, power user, and administrator.
8. Can we display advertisement in our MDVRs?
Yes, the M Series will record and play advertisements at the same time.
9. Can we access the MDVR remotely?
Yes, we can access the MDVR remotely via wired network, wireless network, or cellular.
10. Does the MDVR allow IP cameras?
Yes, the MDVR does work with IP cameras (hybrid operation).
11. How do I set up my MDVR to be accessed with my laptop?
There are two ways to do this:
a) Connect your MDVR to your network and provide it an IP Address, then use MWM.
b) Connect the MDVR directly to your laptop using a crossover cable, then use MWM.
12. How can I download my data out of the MDVR?
There several ways to download your data to be analyzed in your PC:
a) Using a USB memory stick
b) Using MWM over the LAN
c) Using MWM with a removable HDD
d) Using the Auto Download Server for automatic downloading
13. Is our MDVR able to control PTZ cameras??
Yes, our MDVR is able to control PTZ cameras through every video channel. It works with the most popular PTZ protocols.
14. Using MWM (client software), can I remotely change the MDVR’s settings?
Yes, using MWM you can remotely change the MDVR’s settings, as well as format the HDD and restart the unit.
15. Can the MDVR display the speed of the vehicle?
Yes, when the MDVR has the GPS module installed or the speedometer is connected to its correspondent sensor on the pigtail. Speed readings can also be obtained via an OBDII connection.
16. Are the recordings protected in some way?
Yes, the files are watermarked and stored in a proprietary format that can be opened with our software to prove its authenticity.
17. Can we create small clips of a large recording?
Yes, using MWM you can create smaller clips of your recordings in native file format.
18. Can we export the data into MPEG/AVI format?
Yes, using MWM we can export the files to AVI format.
19. What is the power consumption of our MDVR?
It operates at 12V DC 5 Amp (with a range from 8V-36V DC).
20. What is the minimum and maximum storage capability?
The MDVR can hold a 2.5-inch HDD with up to 1 TB and SATA interface. Alternatively, in harsh environments, it can use SSD instead (up to 1 TB).
21. Can we synchronize time with other devices?
Yes, the MDVR can synchronize its time once per day with its GPS or some NTP server.
22. Does the MDVR automatically recycle the HDD?
Yes, by default it will overwrite the HDD once it has a minimum of 2Gb of empty space, but this parameter is user-configurable.
23. How does the MDVR protect the data from vibration?
The MDVR is designed with built-in shock absorbers in the HDD tray. SAY Security installs high-performance and reliable HDDs designed specifically for mobile environments.
24. Does the MDVR work with SSDs (Solid State Drives)?
Yes, our MDVR does work with select SSDs.
25. How do I connect the MDVR to my server using a cellular network?
The H Series devices have built-in USB modem support.The M Series devices require an optional router to be purchased.
26. What is the quality and resolution for our MDVRs?
High (D1) 720×480 NTSC and 704×576 PAL
Medium (HD1) 720×240 NTSC and 704×288 PAL
Standard (CIF) 360×240 NTSC and 352×288 PAL
27. Are the video channels independently configured?
Yes, they are independent.
28. Are you streaming GPS or other metadata together with the video? Do you use a separate file format?
Our platform streams video and GPS (encrypted) along with other metadata information.
29. How many amps can we get from the VDC output on the MDVR?
The MDVR can handle between 3~5 amps.
30. What kind of information can I find in an AVI file (extracted from a M65 original file)?
The resultant AVI file will have Video + Audio only. One AVI file will result per video channel found on the m65 file; for example, if the MDVR was recording two video channels, then 2 AVI files will result (one per channel).